It looks like the 404 images for SE sites can be community generated. MVM&R currently uses the default 404 image. Of the ones I've looked at, my personal favorite is the Server Fault 404 image, so I just wanted to see if the community might be willing provide something more clever than just an image with 404 or "page not found" in it.
Well, we'd have to get permission / check licensing for any images we use, but to get some trains of thought started:
Abandoned auto shops:
(My personal favorite theme for a 404 page)
(image source -- there's other pics here but I picked this one because it's nameless)
My second favorite:
Broken / old / rusted out cars:
A Model T: (image source)
Large collections of tools
(It's too bad this photo isn't conspicuously missing one socket.)
I'm also searching for pics of messy / disorganized shops, no luck yet.
Other ideas that might inspire you:
- Do a Google Image Search on any of the above images for related ones.
- Extremely complicated engines.
- Radiators blowing up in people's faces (but without injury, of course).
- Comical road-side situations.
- Stock photography of engine parts.